Various Artists -][- BGP Presents Jazz Funk [BGP | Beat Goes Public, 2012]
As the 1970s moved into the 80s, jazz funk was the UK club music of choice. It was a catch-all term that covered funk-flavored jazz, boogie soul and a healthy dose of latin flavors. Fantasy Records were one of the most important players and their labels provided a steady stream of dance-floor winners across all of these styles. In this CD we tell the history of the music through the records that they released.
These 14 tracks cover all the bases and mix club classics and obscure winners. Club classics include Paulinho Da Costa’s Taj Mahal and Johnny Hammond’s classic Los Conquistador Chocolates from his Mizell-produced LP Gears. The Blackbyrds appear with the special disco remix of Happy Music, an early club-orientated mix of an album track, and we’ve selected Pleasure’s floor-filler Glide too. Latin masterpieces are represented by Opa, Flora Purim and Jay Hoggard and also chosen are rarities from Charles Earland, the obscure 7-inch mix of his loft classic Leaving This Planet, plus one from ex-Pleasure guitarist Marlon McClain and another from cult jazz hero Stanley Cowell.
There’s an in-depth sleeve note with rare photos that explains the development of jazz funk musically and as a UK club phenomenon.
1. HAPPY MUSIC (RE-EDIT) – Blackbyrds
2. CLOSE TO YOU – Marlon McClain
3. LET ME LOVE YOU (LET ME BE ME) – Stanley Cowell
4. TAJ MAHAL – Paulinho Da Costa
5. LEAVING THIS PLANET (7 INCH EDIT) – Charles Earland
6. LOS CONQUISTADORES CHOCOLATES – Johnny Hammond
7. NOVO ANO – Azar Lawrence
8. MOON DREAMS – Flora Purim
9. SAO PABLO – Jay Hoggard
10. MONTEVIDEO – OPA
11. I DON’T KNOW WHAT’S ON YOUR MIND -Spiders Webb
12. GLIDE – Pleasure
13. SHOUT IT OUT – Patrice Rushen
14. IF ONLY I COULD PROVE TO YOU – Three Pieces
Expected release date: February 14, 2012
..:: SOURCE: Amazon.com ::..